Pakistan blast kills ANP leader
Islamabad: A leader of the secular Awami National Party was killed when his pick-up truck was targeted with a roadside bomb in the erstwhile Taliban stronghold of Swat in northwest Pakistan on Sunday, the latest in a string of attacks against the party`s workers.
The bomb planted by the roadside was triggered by remote control as ANP leader Mukarram Shah was driving from Manglor to Banjot in Swat Valley, located about 160 km from Islamabad.
Shah, who was also a member of a local `aman lashkar` or anti-Taliban militia, was killed instantly, state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
However, the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had warned some weeks ago that it would target leaders and rallies of the ANP, Pakistan People`s Party and Muttahida Qaumi Movement in the run-up to the May 11 polls.
Swat was a stronghold for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan till early 2009, when the army launched a massive operation to flush out the militants.
However, most of the Taliban fighters and commanders in the region fled to Afghanistan.
Last week, a MQM candidate for the general election was gunned down by the Taliban near his home in Hyderabad city of southern Sindh province.
The Taliban has targeted ANP leaders and workers more frequently than workers of other parties.
On February 15, senior ANP leader and former Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti, survived an assassination bid by a Taliban suicide bomber.
On December 22, senior ANP leader Bashir Ahmad Bilour was killed by a Taliban suicide bomber in Peshawar.
The ANP says it has lost over 700 workers and leaders in terrorist attacks since 2008.
The recent spike in violence has forced the ANP to curtail its election campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal