Pakistan blasts kill one, injure 15
Karachi: At least one person was killed and 15 others injured when two blasts went off near a Shia mosque and an election office of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement in this southern Pakistani city on Saturday night.
The first blast, apparently caused by a low-intensity device, occurred near an imambargah or Shia prayer hall in Qasba Colony area of Karachi shortly after 9.30 pm. Minutes later, another explosion occurred near the election office of the MQM.
Police officials said the second blast was caused by an explosive device planted in a truck. The MQM office was closed at the time of the blast.
Officials at a nearby hospital said they had received one body and about 15 injured. Three of the wounded were in a serious condition, they said.
The second blast damaged the MQM office and several nearby buildings and vehicles.
The bombings were the latest in a series of attacks on secular parties like the MQM and Awami National Party in Karachi over the past few days. Eleven people were killed yesterday when a senior ANP leader was targeted in a bomb attack.
Two bomb attacks targeting as many MQM election offices have killed at least 10 people. The MQM closed all its election offices across Sindh province following the attacks.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban claimed responsibility for the earlier attacks on the MQM and ANP, saying they were being targeted for their secular views and policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed