Pakistan blasts kill one, injure 15
Karachi: At least one person was killed and 15 others injured when two blasts went off near a Shia mosque and an election office of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement in this southern Pakistani city on Saturday night.
The first blast, apparently caused by a low-intensity device, occurred near an imambargah or Shia prayer hall in Qasba Colony area of Karachi shortly after 9.30 pm. Minutes later, another explosion occurred near the election office of the MQM.
Police officials said the second blast was caused by an explosive device planted in a truck. The MQM office was closed at the time of the blast.
Officials at a nearby hospital said they had received one body and about 15 injured. Three of the wounded were in a serious condition, they said.
The second blast damaged the MQM office and several nearby buildings and vehicles.
The bombings were the latest in a series of attacks on secular parties like the MQM and Awami National Party in Karachi over the past few days. Eleven people were killed yesterday when a senior ANP leader was targeted in a bomb attack.
Two bomb attacks targeting as many MQM election offices have killed at least 10 people. The MQM closed all its election offices across Sindh province following the attacks.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban claimed responsibility for the earlier attacks on the MQM and ANP, saying they were being targeted for their secular views and policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!