Pakistan: Bomb blast in bus kills 13 Shiites
Islamabad: In what can be suspected as a sectarian attack, a roadside bomb has killed 13 Shiite Muslims, including two children, and injuring four others, in northwest tribal area of Pakistan when their vehicle was blown up on Wednesday morning, a media report said.
As per report, a minibus was carrying minority Shiite Muslims for the nearby district of Kohat.
“The incident took place shortly after the bus left Spai village in the Orakzai tribal area”, Jamil Khan told a news agency.
The deafening powerful blast took place in Sepoy village in Orakzai district, reported Geo News.
"It was remote-controlled bomb planted on the road. The bomb exploded near a pick-up van carrying passengers," Zakir Hussain, an official, was quoted as saying.
Seven persons were killed instantly and six more succumbed to their injuries in a nearby hospital.
Two women, a three-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy were among the dead.
The injured were taken to a hospital at Kohat in Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa province and officials described their condition as critical.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Security forces and a local `lashkar` or anti-Taliban militia launched a search operation after the blast.
Spai is a predominantly Shiite village. In recent times, attacks by Sunnis on Shiites have been more common.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'