Pakistan braces for anti-Islam film protests
Islamabad: Pakistan Friday braced for anti-Islam film protests as the US military chief, General Martin Dempsey, postponed his planned visit to Pakistan over demonstrations against the movie.
General Dempsey was scheduled to meet Pakistani army chief General Ashfaq Parvaiz Kayani this week, reported News Agency reports.
The visit of the US general was postponed at a time when rallies are planned across Pakistan, including capital Islamabad, after Friday prayers against the anti-Islam film.
Last week, over 20 people died in clashes with riot police in several major cities when the government had observed "Day of Love for the Prophet".
Thousands attacked cinema houses, police posts, police mobile vans, banks, vehicles and shops in some cities. The government had blamed Taliban elements and members of the banned groups for the violence.
Authorities in Islamabad placed containers to block roads to the high security `Red Zone` which includes diplomatic enclave.
The US embassy is located in the diplomatic enclave and the anti-movie protestors clashed with the police last week when they tried to move towards the US diplomatic mission.
Lawyers have announced a procession in Islamabad. The Islamabad administration has announced a temporary ban on processions in the capital city.
Also in other major cities, roads towards the US diplomatic missions have been closed over security concerns.
Several groups have planned demonstrations after Friday prayers against the movie, which was made in the US and has sparked protests across the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands