Pakistan brothers sentenced to 12 years in jail for cannibalism
Lahore: Two Pakistani brothers, who spent two years in jail for cannibalism in 2011, were on Wednesday sentenced to 12 years rigorous imprisonment by an anti- terrorism court in a fresh human flesh eating case that shocked the nation.
The Anti-Terrorism Court in Sargodha district of Punjab province announced the verdict two months after they were arrested in April.
The two -- Muhammad Arif (35) and Farman Ali (30) -- will undergo rigorous imprisonment in the Mianwali district jail.
They belong to a small town of Darya Khan of Bhakhar district some 400 kilometers from Lahore.
They were re-arrested in April for allegedly eating the flesh of a dead child at their house. Both of them had earlier been in prison for two years for cannibalism.
According to police, the brothers had dug up more than 100 corpses from the local graveyard and eaten them before they were arrested following tip off from neighbours in 2011.
Since there has been no laws related to cannibalism in Pakistan, the brothers were convicted for "desecrating a grave" at that time.
They were freed in May 2013 but they again got involved in eating human flesh.
Both of them are married and have children but their wives abandoned them reportedly when they came to know that their husbands were cannibals.
Since there is no law in Pakistan related to cannibalism, the police arrested the duo under the Anti-Terrorism Act declaring that their action created fear and insecurity among people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today