Pakistan can`t afford confrontation: Nawaz Sharif
Islamabad: Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said Saturday the country cannot afford political confrontation at a time when the security forces are fighting militants in North Waziristan.
At a National Security Conference here, Sharif called upon political parties to act towards steering the country out of all challenges, including the economy, Xinhua reported.
Leaders of almost all major parties, including the main opposition Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), attended the conference, however, Imran Khan, chief of Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) party, stayed away.
Chef of military operation Major Gen. Aamir Riaz, briefed the participants on the military operation in North Waziristan and said that the required objectives have been achieved.
The army chief, General Raheel Sharif and Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) head Lt. Gen. Zaheer-ul-Islam also attended the conference.
Nawaz Sharif said that he is ready to meet Imran Khan to discuss his demands, including political and electoral reforms, but made it clear the government will not bow before any demands made through protests.
Khan, has announced a march against the government on Independence Day August 14.
Khan said that thousands of supporters will stage sit-in in Islamabad and will not end protest until Nawaz Sharif resigns.
A religious leader, Tahir-ul-Qadri, has also begin protests against the government and his supporters clashed Friday with police in several cities, including Lahore.
Qadri`s Pakistan Awami Tehrik (PAT) says the police have arrested hundreds of its activists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy