Pakistan captures spokesman for Baitullah Mehsud
Islamabad: Intelligence officials say security forces are holding the Pakistani Taliban`s top spokesman after capturing him near the Afghan border.
The three officials said Tuesday that Maulvi Omar was seized from a village in the Mohmand tribal region Monday night as he was traveling in a car with two of his associates.
They said local tribal elders assisted troops in locating Omar, who became prominent in recent years as spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, calling journalists to claim responsibility for dozens of terrorist attacks inside Pakistan.
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media, said Omar`s arrest would likely be publicly announced later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief
- Asian markets sink as stimulus hopes rolled back