Pakistan captures spokesman for Baitullah Mehsud
Islamabad: Intelligence officials say security forces are holding the Pakistani Taliban`s top spokesman after capturing him near the Afghan border.
The three officials said Tuesday that Maulvi Omar was seized from a village in the Mohmand tribal region Monday night as he was traveling in a car with two of his associates.
They said local tribal elders assisted troops in locating Omar, who became prominent in recent years as spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, calling journalists to claim responsibility for dozens of terrorist attacks inside Pakistan.
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media, said Omar`s arrest would likely be publicly announced later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre