Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday celebrated Eid-ul-Zuha, or the festival of sacrifice, with religious zeal and fervour across the country.
After Eid prayers, the faithful sacrificed camels, cows, goats, rams and sheep to commemorate the historic sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim. Legend has it that bowing to Allah`s command, Ibrahim offered his son Ismail in sacrifice. When he blindfolded himself and moved the knife on his son`s throat, Allah ordered a ram from heaven to replace Ismail.
The celebrations will continue for three days of the Eid festivities, Geo News reported.
People prayed in mosques and Eidgahs (open-air mosques) for the nation`s solidarity, prosperity and integrity.
Scholars from various schools of thought delivered special sermons to highlight the significance of the day and the purpose of the sacrifice rendered by Prophet Ibrahim centuries ago.
Eid-ul-Zuha is the most important feast of the Muslim calendar. It concludes the pilgrimage to Mecca.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Iceland elects new president in vote eclipsed by Euros, Brexit
- We don't need people like Mukhtar Ansari in party: Akhilesh Yadav
- Talent is unstoppable! Alia Bhatt aspires for Hollywood
- Sprinter Dutee Chand shatters own national record, qualifies for Rio Olympics
- One in seven women in Bengaluru garment factories faces sexual violence: Report