Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday celebrated Eid-ul-Zuha, or the festival of sacrifice, with religious zeal and fervour across the country.
After Eid prayers, the faithful sacrificed camels, cows, goats, rams and sheep to commemorate the historic sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim. Legend has it that bowing to Allah`s command, Ibrahim offered his son Ismail in sacrifice. When he blindfolded himself and moved the knife on his son`s throat, Allah ordered a ram from heaven to replace Ismail.
The celebrations will continue for three days of the Eid festivities, Geo News reported.
People prayed in mosques and Eidgahs (open-air mosques) for the nation`s solidarity, prosperity and integrity.
Scholars from various schools of thought delivered special sermons to highlight the significance of the day and the purpose of the sacrifice rendered by Prophet Ibrahim centuries ago.
Eid-ul-Zuha is the most important feast of the Muslim calendar. It concludes the pilgrimage to Mecca.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!