Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday celebrated Eid-ul-Zuha, or the festival of sacrifice, with religious zeal and fervour across the country.
After Eid prayers, the faithful sacrificed camels, cows, goats, rams and sheep to commemorate the historic sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim. Legend has it that bowing to Allah`s command, Ibrahim offered his son Ismail in sacrifice. When he blindfolded himself and moved the knife on his son`s throat, Allah ordered a ram from heaven to replace Ismail.
The celebrations will continue for three days of the Eid festivities, Geo News reported.
People prayed in mosques and Eidgahs (open-air mosques) for the nation`s solidarity, prosperity and integrity.
Scholars from various schools of thought delivered special sermons to highlight the significance of the day and the purpose of the sacrifice rendered by Prophet Ibrahim centuries ago.
Eid-ul-Zuha is the most important feast of the Muslim calendar. It concludes the pilgrimage to Mecca.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note