Pakistan clashes kill 8 soldiers, 18 militants
Islamabad: In a pre-dawn strike, Taliban
militants on Friday attacked a strategic check post in Pakistan`s
restive tribal belt along the Afghan border, triggering fierce
clashes in which at least eight security personnel and 18
terrorists were killed.
Militants also abducted five security personnel during
the attack on the check post in Shidano Dand area of Kurram
tribal region, officials were quoted as saying by TV news
The attack triggered fierce clashes in which eight
soldiers and 18 militants were killed, they said.
There was no official word on the incident.
Fourteen soldiers and over 80 militants were recently
killed in a fighting in Jogi area of Kurram tribal agency,
where the Taliban had targeted soldiers holding a strategic
Troops recently took control of the mountain after
flushing militants out of the area.
Combat jets carried out air strikes in the region after
the Taliban killed several soldiers in attacks.
The Pakistan army and air force have been conducting
operations against the Taliban in Kurram since the
beginning of the year.
Besides the activities of the Taliban, Kurram has been
affected by clashes between Shia and Sunni tribesmen over
the past four years. Hundreds of people have died in the
fighting between the rival tribesmen.
Meanwhile, one person was killed and two others injuries
in a blast in Bara area of Khyber tribal agency today, local
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed