Pakistan concerned over India-Russia defence agreement
Islamabad: Pakistan has expressed serious apprehensions over USD 2.9 billion India-Russia defence arms agreement, which was signed this week.
Responding to queries during a weekly press briefing, Foreign Office Spokesman Moazzam Khan said that it (the India-Russia deal) is totally against efforts to prevent an arms race in the region.
The defence agreement was signed in New Delhi on Monday during Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit to India.
Under the accords, India will buy 42 Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jets and 71 Mil Mi-17 helicopters, according to the media.
Commenting on the arms deal, the foreign office spokesperson said in Islamabad that anything that may initiate nuclear or conventional arms race will not augur well for the future of the region, the Daily Times reports.
According to the report, when asked about the granting of Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India, the spokesman said the government has decided in principle to grant the MFN status to India.
On Pakistan-US relations, Moazzam Khan said there had been ups and downs in the bilateral relations in the year 2012, but now these are witnessing an upward trajectory after the resolution of issues, the report said.
According to the report, to a question on Afghanistan, Khan said Pakistan has repeatedly said that it supports any initiative that may result in an all-inclusive political reconciliation, which is led and owned by Afghans themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official