Pakistan condemns US drone attack that killed Taliban`s Wali-ur-Rehman
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Issuing a strong condemnation of a drone attack that killed a top Taliban official, Pakistan has said that the attack in North Waziristan infringed the nation’s sovereignty.
A US drone strike in Pakistan`s lawless North Waziristan tribal region yesterday killed Pakistan Taliban number 2 Wali-ur-Rehman and five other militants.
The CIA-operated spy plane targeted a house in Chashma Pul area of Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency, a stronghold of Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militants on the Afghan border, early on Wednesday morning.
Pakistan Foreign Office spokesman spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry issued a statement, saying “the government of Pakistan has consistently maintained that the drone strikes are counter-productive, and claim innocent civilian lives, have human rights and humanitarian implications and violate the principles of national sovereignty, territorial integrity and international law”.
A media report claimed Rehman, the deputy chief of the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, was killed in the drone strike but this could not be independently confirmed.
Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani said on Friday that the drone strikes were illegal and counter-productive despite the new guidelines unveiled by Obama.
According to the new policy, drone strikes can only be used to prevent imminent attacks, when the capture of a suspect is not feasible and if there is a "near certainty" that civilians will not be killed.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch