Pakistan court seeks info on two Indian prisoners
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Friday asked the secretaries of the Interior and Foreign Ministries to respond to a petition seeking the release of two Indian prisoners who are languishing in jail despite having completed their terms.
Justice Shujaat Ali Khan of the Lahore High Court issued notices to the two officials in response to a petition filed by lawyer Awais Sheikh seeking the release of Indian prisoners Mangal Singh and Ram Das.
The judge asked the officials to submit their replies within two months.
In the petition, Sheikh said Singh, the son of Sudan Singh, had mistakenly crossed the border at Sialkot in May 2011 and was given a three-month prison term.
Singh was shifted to Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail from Sialkot Jail in June 2011, Sheikh said.
Das, the son of Bijli Das, was arrested in September 2011 after he mistakenly crossed the border in Sialkot area.
He was later given a one-year prison term.
Sheikh told the judge both prisoners had completed their sentences.
"Their continuous detention is illegal, unlawful and against the principles of natural justice. It is also a violation of international laws," he argued.
He asked the judge to direct authorities to produce both prisoners in court and to make arrangements to repatriate them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in