Pakistan court seeks info on two Indian prisoners
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Friday asked the secretaries of the Interior and Foreign Ministries to respond to a petition seeking the release of two Indian prisoners who are languishing in jail despite having completed their terms.
Justice Shujaat Ali Khan of the Lahore High Court issued notices to the two officials in response to a petition filed by lawyer Awais Sheikh seeking the release of Indian prisoners Mangal Singh and Ram Das.
The judge asked the officials to submit their replies within two months.
In the petition, Sheikh said Singh, the son of Sudan Singh, had mistakenly crossed the border at Sialkot in May 2011 and was given a three-month prison term.
Singh was shifted to Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail from Sialkot Jail in June 2011, Sheikh said.
Das, the son of Bijli Das, was arrested in September 2011 after he mistakenly crossed the border in Sialkot area.
He was later given a one-year prison term.
Sheikh told the judge both prisoners had completed their sentences.
"Their continuous detention is illegal, unlawful and against the principles of natural justice. It is also a violation of international laws," he argued.
He asked the judge to direct authorities to produce both prisoners in court and to make arrangements to repatriate them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day