Pakistan defence budget goes up by 10 percent
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday hiked its defence budget for fiscal 2012-13 by nearly 10 per cent to Rs 545 billion.
Official budget documents presented in Parliament said a sum of Rs 545 billion (about USD 5.82) had been allocated for the defence services, compared with Rs 495 billion provided in the fiscal year ending on June 30.
Further details, including allocations for the three services and weapons acquisition programmes, were not immediately available.
The budget documents further stated that the actual expenditure on defence during fiscal 2011-12 was Rs 509.32 billion (about USD 5.45 billion), or Rs 14.32 billion more than the allocation of Rs 495 billion.
The allocation for defence amounted to 18.4 per cent of the federal budget of Rs 2,960 billion for fiscal 2012-13.
The Pakistan government has traditionally made defence allocations with the objective of maintaining conventional parity with India.
However, a crippling financial crunch has forced the government to balance military spending and expenditure on development and welfare programmes.
Expenses on the war on terrorism and cuts in defence aid by the US too have affected Pakistan`s defence budget.
However, experts have said that the government often allocates funds for the military`s special programmes and the nuclear weapons programme that are not reflected as part of the outlay for defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17