Pakistan denies releasing Taliban prisoners
Islamabad: The Pakistan government Thursday denied reports that Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) prisoners have been released in an effort to revive the peace talks.
"The reports are incorrect. The government has neither released any Taliban prisoners neither has approval been given for any such measure," Dawn online reported citing a spokesman for the Prime Minister House in Islamabad.
A foreign news wire report quoted an official in South Waziristan as saying that the Pakistan government had released 16 TTP prisoners in a bid to mend ties and continue the peace talks.
The TTP had announced a month-long ceasefire March 1 and on expiry of the ceasefire March 31 has refused to extend it due to what they called continuous violation of the ceasefire by the Pakistan government.
According to the TTP, the Pakistan government was just wasting time and was not sincere in meeting their demands and so now they might re-start the war.
The demands included release of 800 non-combatant prisoners and withdrawing the army from parts of the semi-autonomous tribal areas along the border with Afghanistan
The final decision on extension of ceasefire will be taken in a few days by the TTP shura.
During the period of the ceasefire, there has been a decrease in terrorist activities in Pakistan, media reports said.
The first round of direct talks between the Pakistan government and the TTP leadership concluded March 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'