Pakistan Election Commission chief resigns
Islamabad: Fakhruddin G Ebrahim, the Chief Election Commissioner of Pakistan, resigned on Wednesday, a day after overseeing the election of the new President.
In his resignation letter addressed to President Asif Ali Zardari, Ebrahim said that he has done his job to hold elections and it was time for the new Parliament to appoint his successor, so that the new chief can get ample time to prepare for next election in 2018.
"In my humble opinion, the newly-elected members of Parliament should have the opportunity to forge new consensus and choose a new Chief Election Commissioner," he said.
"Therefore, in accordance with Article 215(3) of the Constitution, I hereby resign from the office of the Chief Election Commissioner of Pakistan".
The outgoing election chief said that he tried to perform to the best of his abilities despite personal threats.
"Despite personal threats and even brazen gun attack on my family - I quietly stood firm against those forces who first tried to derail and then delay the 2013 Elections," he said.
He regretted the violence in run up to the May 11 election in which dozens of people were killed.
Ebrahim also expressed satisfaction over successful first ever political transition under a civilian government.
Pressure has been mounting on Ebrahim from the opposition parties due to alleged irregularities in the May elections.
He was also criticised for failure to stand up against the Supreme Court when it unilaterally changed date of presidential elections.
Ebrahim was appointed in July 2012 after then ruling Pakistan People`s Party and opposition PML-N agreed on his name, as part of constitutional obligation that government and opposition should jointly nominate the election chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan