Pakistan elections: Candidate shot dead in Karachi
Karachi: An independent candidate was on Friday shot dead while a Pakistan People`s Party nominee went missing in the port city of Karachi. Three people, including MQM-(Haqiqi)-backed independent candidate Shakeel Ahmed, were killed in the shootout between two rival groups, police said.
Shakeel had earlier filed nomination papers as a MQM (Haqiqi) candidate, but his papers were rejected by the Election Commission. He filed an appeal and was allowed to contest as an independent candidate.
"He was supported by the MQM and today`s killing shows we are not being allowed to campaign," a spokesman for the MQM (Haqiqi) said.
The MQM (Haqiqi) is a breakaway group of the dominant Mutthaida-e-Qaumi Movement, and represents the Urdu speaking population in Pakistan`s biggest city.
Police said shops and markets had been shut down as the situation turned tense in one of the city`s most populous areas, Landhi, where the incident occurred.
The Election Commission has suspended elections in two constituencies after the incident.
In another incident, a candidate of the Pakistan People`s Party, contesting for a provincial assembly seat, went missing, leading to protests by party workers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India