Pakistan elections to be held in 2013: PM Gilani
Islamabad: Free, fair and transparent elections will be held on time in 2013, said Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani who stressed that the government was not facing any threat.
Gilani told mediapersons after a conference here that the opposition was raising issues but the government was not facing any threat and those targeting the government will be disappointed.
"Everybody is playing to the galleries," Associated Press of Pakistan quoted Gilani as saying.
The Prime Minister said the government firmly believes in democracy and is following law and Constitution.
He said: "We respect the mandate given by the people to the political parties."
A secret memo to Washington claimed that President Asif Ali Zardari feared a military coup after the May killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Husain Haqqani resigned as Pakistan`s ambassador to the US and former minister Sherry Rehman was appointed the new envoy.
Gilani said a high level committee will soon start the probe into the memo and the investigation will be held in a fair manner.
The Prime Minister said the government will take care of the challenges being faced by the country.
"Honestly speaking, it will not be easy for anyone to run the government in the face of present challenges," he said, adding: "We are taking forward democracy in a positive manner, in very difficult circumstances."
Gilani said in the National Assembly that civilian and military leadership were on the same page on every issue.
"There is no threat to the government and if there was any, then we would look towards the masses and the opposition," he said.
"We have made a lot of sacrifices for democracy..."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India