Pakistan engaged with Taliban to get peace talks back on track
Islamabad: Pakistan is engaged with the Taliban to put the Qatar peace process back on track.
The move from the South Asian country comes after the controversial opening of an office in Doha by the insurgent group that deadlocked efforts for talks in Afghanistan.
A Pakistani official told Dawn News that negotiators were talking to the Taliban leadership to persuade them to get on with the talks with the Americans and the Afghan government.
Pakistan Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Chaudhry said they have affirmed their commitment to consider all possible measures that would contribute to the reconciliation process for peace in Afghanistan.
He said Pakistan considered these talks as an important step towards national reconciliation in Afghanistan.
According to the report, the Taliban had initially agreed for talks with the United States and Afghanistan`s High Peace Council after push from Pakistan.
Taliban opened an office in Doha for the talks, but the row over its name used in the opening ceremony and raising of a flag at the Doha office angered the Karzai government.
Afghanistan outraged over the Taliban`s move cancelled the visit of its negotiators to Qatar and suspended talks with the US on a bilateral security arrangement.
According to the report, later, the Afghan Government agreed to join the Doha process following US efforts to salvage the talks, but Taliban leaders have yet to come up with their formal response.
However, Taliban insisted that its intention to use the office was for improving relations with the world countries.
The insurgent group added that their insistence on the controversial name could still prove to be sticking points for the beginning of the dialogue, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!