Pakistan for building states` capacity to combat terrorism
Islamabad: Pakistan has underscored the need for capacity building of states as part of the United Nations’ counter-terrorism efforts.
“Our efforts against terrorism would make a difference on the ground only when capacity building needs of states are met,” the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) quoted Masood Khan, Pakistan`s Ambassador to the UN, as saying Monday.
The Pakistani envoy praised Saudi Arabia’s contribution of $100 million for UN’s counter-terrorism projects, saying it helps address the funding deficit.
“This raises our hopes and ambitions in many areas,” Masood said at a meeting of the advisory board of the UN Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT).
The UNCCT, based at the UN headquarters in New York, was launched in 2011 with the help of a voluntary contribution from the Saudi government, the APP reported.
Operating under the UN secretary general and the umbrella of the Department of Political Affairs, the centre contributes to the implementation of the 2006 UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy and engages with over 30 entities with expertise on a wide range of counter-terrorism-related subjects.
“The work of the centre is now on track,” Masood Khan said.
“The focus of projects is essentially on promoting consensus and international cooperation. We are glad that instead of initiating grand plans, doable and action-oriented projects in the area of capacity building figure prominently in next year’s programme of work,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi