Pakistan Foreign Secy expected to be named envoy to US
Islamabad: Veteran Pakistani diplomat and current Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani is expected to be appointed the country`s ambassador to the US ahead of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s visit to Washington this month.
Jilani, a career diplomat, has served as Ambassador to Belgium, Luxembourg and the European Union and also did a stint in New Delhi as Deputy High Commissioner.
Sources in the government told a news agency that he is expected to be named for the post of the Ambassador to the US. An official announcement is expected soon, they said.
The post has been lying vacant since former envoy Sherry Rehman, a senior leader of the Pakistan People`s Party, resigned in May following her party`s defeat in the general election.
Sharif visited the US last month for the UN General Assembly and is scheduled to meet President Barack Obama on October 23.
The two leaders are expected to discuss ways to strengthen cooperation on issues of mutual concern, including countering violent extremism, the White House had said.
Many Pakistani analysts have spoken about the urgent need for appointing an envoy to the US.
Jilani has specialised in South Asian affairs and served as Director India during 1992-1995, Deputy High Commissioner to New Delhi during 1999-2003 and Director General for South Asia and SAARC during 2003-07.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir