Pakistan forms team to probe naval base attack
A 15-hour siege that began on the night of May 22 at the PNS Mehran base led to the death of 14 people, including four terrorists.
Karachi: The government of Pakistan`s Sindh province Sunday formed a joint investigation team of police and various security agencies to probe the attack that killed 14 people in a naval base in Karachi, Geo News reported.
A 15-hour siege that began on the night of May 22 at the PNS Mehran base led to the death of 14 people, including four terrorists. The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
Officials told Geo News the Sindh province home department has issued orders for the constitution of the joint team on the directive of the federal interior ministry.
The team would comprise of police, Military Intelligence (MI), Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Pakistan Rangers and other agencies.
It would review investigation reports made so far and would take forward their own investigation from different possible angles, officials said.
The team, besides investigating the terrorists` link within Pakistan and the outside world, would also focus on security lapses.
Four men suspected to be involved in the deadly attack were arrested in Karachi Friday. The suspects were later shifted to an undisclosed location for interrogation.