Pakistan General Elections 2013 scheduled for May 11
Islamabad: General Elections in Pakistan will be held on May 11, country’s Election Commission announced Wednesday.
The 11 May date for nationwide parliamentary elections was approved by President Asif Ali Zardari, said presidential spokesperson Farhatullah Babar,
The polls are significant as they mark the first time that one civilian government has handed over power to another.
Pakistan recently hogged headlines by creating history as for the first time ever after independence, the country witnessed a democratically elected government that completed its first five year term without getting dissolved.
Pakistan`s military has ruled for approximately half the period since the country’s independence in 1947, staging coups three times.
Pakistan’s Parliament was dissolved on the midnight of March 16, as the government’s mandate expired.
A caretaker government would be set up soon to steer the country till election.
A Parliamentary committee has been given the job of deciding who would head the caretaker government till Friday as politicians failed to reach agreement on the same in time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!