Pakistan General Elections 2013 scheduled for May 11
Islamabad: General Elections in Pakistan will be held on May 11, country’s Election Commission announced Wednesday.
The 11 May date for nationwide parliamentary elections was approved by President Asif Ali Zardari, said presidential spokesperson Farhatullah Babar,
The polls are significant as they mark the first time that one civilian government has handed over power to another.
Pakistan recently hogged headlines by creating history as for the first time ever after independence, the country witnessed a democratically elected government that completed its first five year term without getting dissolved.
Pakistan`s military has ruled for approximately half the period since the country’s independence in 1947, staging coups three times.
Pakistan’s Parliament was dissolved on the midnight of March 16, as the government’s mandate expired.
A caretaker government would be set up soon to steer the country till election.
A Parliamentary committee has been given the job of deciding who would head the caretaker government till Friday as politicians failed to reach agreement on the same in time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!