Pakistan General Elections 2013 scheduled for May 11
Islamabad: General Elections in Pakistan will be held on May 11, country’s Election Commission announced Wednesday.
The 11 May date for nationwide parliamentary elections was approved by President Asif Ali Zardari, said presidential spokesperson Farhatullah Babar,
The polls are significant as they mark the first time that one civilian government has handed over power to another.
Pakistan recently hogged headlines by creating history as for the first time ever after independence, the country witnessed a democratically elected government that completed its first five year term without getting dissolved.
Pakistan`s military has ruled for approximately half the period since the country’s independence in 1947, staging coups three times.
Pakistan’s Parliament was dissolved on the midnight of March 16, as the government’s mandate expired.
A caretaker government would be set up soon to steer the country till election.
A Parliamentary committee has been given the job of deciding who would head the caretaker government till Friday as politicians failed to reach agreement on the same in time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown