Pakistan gets seat on UN Security Council
New York: Pakistan was on Friday elected
to the powerful UN Security Council as a non-permanent member
for a two-year-term beginning on January 1, 2012, putting it
in the club of 10 nations which currently includes India.
Pakistan won 129 votes in the 193 member General
Assembly. Pakistan was vying for the seat against Kyrgyzstan
in the Asia pacific category. There were no abstention.
To win a seat on the UN Security Council, a country must
receive the support of at least 129 members.
Pakistan was one of the nine countries vying for five
non-permanent seats on the Security Council that will fall
vacant on December 31, 2011.
Pakistan`s Permanent Representative to the UN,
Ambassador Abdullah Hussain Haroon said, "It is a great day
for the subcontinent. We have an opportunity to bring things
"The Indian ocean is important, Africa, Asia, we are
going to work together and on the Indian subcontinent we have
great opportunity as there are people here who are willing to
talk and lead by example," he said.
"So we are looking forward to something good for not just
the sub continent but also for Africa and the Indian ocean,"
he said here.
India joined as non-permanent member of the UNSC on
January 2011 and its term will end on December 31, 2012. The
two nuclear-armed neighbours have thrice before been together
in the Council in 1968, 1977 and 1984.
Haroon said "with India we have worked together for two
years why should we not do it for a third."
Morrocco, Guatemala also claimed non-permanent seats.
Referring to last year`s US Open when Rohan Bopanna of
India and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi of Pakistan played on the same
team, Haroon said "if Bopanna and Aisam can play the US open
together, we can take that sort of position in politics as
well," Haroon said.
India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh
Puri congratulated Haroon over the phone.
Haroon and Puri had famously sat together to watch the
men from their countries play the tennis tournament.
"I am very grateful to him and I would like to
appreciate the reciprocation of India to Pakistan. This will
help in getting a lot of things moving forward," Haroon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi