Pakistan govt approves Contempt of Court Bill
Islamabad: Pakistan’s federal cabinet has approved the Contempt of Court Bill, 2012, which provides immunity to the country’s president, prime minister, ministers and chief minister from contempt of court proceedings.
Under Article 284-1 of the Constitution, the bill enlarges the scope of the right to appeal, and incorporates other necessary provisions relevant to contempt proceedings.
According to the Daily Times, it is being believed that the government is seeking to abolish the contempt of court ordinance and replace it with new legislation as the draft bill also states that criticism of court orders if made in appropriate language would not amount to contempt of court.
The cabinet also unanimously endorsed the decision of the Defence Committee of the Cabinet (DCC) for reopening of Ground Lines of Communication, commonly known as NATO supplies in Afghanistan.
It accorded approval to a key piece of legislation on overseas Pakistanis in the form of a draft bill tabled by the Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis, which proposed amendment in Article 63(1)(C) of the Constitution to enable the overseas Pakistanis having dual nationality to contest election for the membership of Parliament, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?