Pakistan govt says Islamabad `extremely dangerous`: Report
Islamabad: Pakistan`s capital has been declared as "extremely dangerous" by the Interior Ministry due to the presence of sleeper cells of banned terror groups like the al Qaeda, a report said on Wednesday.
According to the report, Islamabad is at high risk because of the presence of sleeper cells of the banned organisations including including al Qaeda, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and Lashkar-e-Jahngvi (LeJ).
Banned outfits of Pakistani Taliban and LeJ are a real threat in Punjab while the target killers, al Qaeda and LeJ are targeting Sindh, Geo TV reported.
The Interior Ministry report will be presented before the standing committee of National Assembly.
The capital was recently put on high alert for nearly a week after a suicide bomb blast in Rawalpindi last month.
Heavy security checks were introduced while alerts were sent out to all Embassies and High Commissions here.
The Embassies had warned its citizens here to avoid a number of places in the capital. Diplomatic sources had said such kind of an alert was issued after many years.
Over the past six months, the Islamabad police claim to have busted a number of sleeper cells here besides seizure of large amount of explosives and arms.
Nasiruddin Haqqani, the chief financier of the Haqqani militant network - one of the most feared groups fighting US-led forces in Afghanistan was shot dead in the Pakistani capital in November last year.
He was believed to have been based in the federal capital for long.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’