Pakistan govt says Islamabad `extremely dangerous`: Report
Islamabad: Pakistan`s capital has been declared as "extremely dangerous" by the Interior Ministry due to the presence of sleeper cells of banned terror groups like the al Qaeda, a report said on Wednesday.
According to the report, Islamabad is at high risk because of the presence of sleeper cells of the banned organisations including including al Qaeda, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and Lashkar-e-Jahngvi (LeJ).
Banned outfits of Pakistani Taliban and LeJ are a real threat in Punjab while the target killers, al Qaeda and LeJ are targeting Sindh, Geo TV reported.
The Interior Ministry report will be presented before the standing committee of National Assembly.
The capital was recently put on high alert for nearly a week after a suicide bomb blast in Rawalpindi last month.
Heavy security checks were introduced while alerts were sent out to all Embassies and High Commissions here.
The Embassies had warned its citizens here to avoid a number of places in the capital. Diplomatic sources had said such kind of an alert was issued after many years.
Over the past six months, the Islamabad police claim to have busted a number of sleeper cells here besides seizure of large amount of explosives and arms.
Nasiruddin Haqqani, the chief financier of the Haqqani militant network - one of the most feared groups fighting US-led forces in Afghanistan was shot dead in the Pakistani capital in November last year.
He was believed to have been based in the federal capital for long.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy