‘Pakistan happier country than India, US’
Washington: Pakistanis are happier about their lives than Indians and Americans, a recent survey has revealed.
The Happy Planet Index 2012 has ranked Pakistan 16th among 151 countries, ahead of both India and the US which ranked 32nd and 105th respectively, reports The Dawn.
The Happy Planet Index is calculated using life expectancy, well-being and ecological footprint of the countries with data collected from various sources including UNDP and Gallup. The index was introduced in July 2006 by a British NGO, the New Economics Foundation, which also has a branch in the US.
The HPI 2012 ranked Costa Rica as the happiest country in the world, followed by Vietnam and Colombia.
The life expectancy and experienced well-being of Pakistan was found to be mediocre, but the ecological footprint was termed "good". The total HPI of Pakistan was calculated at 54.1.
Israel landed just one spot above Pakistan, with "good" life expectancy and well-being, but a "poor" ecological footprint.
Bangladesh was higher up on the scale at 11, with the first two factors termed mediocre and the footprint as "good".
India showed mediocre life expectancy and well-being but a "good" ecological footprint. India``s total HPI was 50.9.
The US scored low because of its ecological footprint, which was worse than the "poor" category. The life expectancy and well-being were, however, ranked "good". Afghanistan was ranked 109.
The countries which landed at the bottom of the Happiness Index were mostly from Sub-Saharan Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared