‘Pakistan happier country than India, US’
Washington: Pakistanis are happier about their lives than Indians and Americans, a recent survey has revealed.
The Happy Planet Index 2012 has ranked Pakistan 16th among 151 countries, ahead of both India and the US which ranked 32nd and 105th respectively, reports The Dawn.
The Happy Planet Index is calculated using life expectancy, well-being and ecological footprint of the countries with data collected from various sources including UNDP and Gallup. The index was introduced in July 2006 by a British NGO, the New Economics Foundation, which also has a branch in the US.
The HPI 2012 ranked Costa Rica as the happiest country in the world, followed by Vietnam and Colombia.
The life expectancy and experienced well-being of Pakistan was found to be mediocre, but the ecological footprint was termed "good". The total HPI of Pakistan was calculated at 54.1.
Israel landed just one spot above Pakistan, with "good" life expectancy and well-being, but a "poor" ecological footprint.
Bangladesh was higher up on the scale at 11, with the first two factors termed mediocre and the footprint as "good".
India showed mediocre life expectancy and well-being but a "good" ecological footprint. India``s total HPI was 50.9.
The US scored low because of its ecological footprint, which was worse than the "poor" category. The life expectancy and well-being were, however, ranked "good". Afghanistan was ranked 109.
The countries which landed at the bottom of the Happiness Index were mostly from Sub-Saharan Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp