`Pakistan has made no attempt to shut down LeT’
Washington: Accusing Pakistan of abetting terrorist groups like the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), responsible for the November 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, a key lawmaker wants the Obama administration to adopt a more realistic policy towards a key ally.
"We need to rid ourselves of the absurd notion that we can change Pakistan, reform its government, or create real trust," Gary Ackerman, top Democrat on a House foreign affairs sub-panel, said at a Congressional hearing on Thursday.
Asserting "Pakistani military establishment is not our friend. They are not our allies. They are not our partners. They are not on our team," he said "It`s not a secret that the Haqqani network is responsible for numerous attacks on the Afghan government and our troops.”
"It`s not a secret that Lashkar-e-Toiba, which was responsible for the horrific November, 2008, massacre of civilians in Mumbai, India, an attack that clearly implicated the Pakistani military, operates openly in Pakistan."
"The government of Pakistan has made no effort to interfere, disrupt, arrest or shut down any of these groups or their activities," Ackerman said noting "It`s no secret that Osama bin Laden was living comfortably in Abbottabad."
"Pakistan is not our pal, our buddy or our chum. It is a sovereign state, pursuing its own self-defined interests in what it perceives to be a tough neighbourhood. But they contribute to making it tough."
Steve Chabot, Republican chair of the panel said he was very concerned about Obama administration`s plan to use Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to reach out to insurgents" and "the implications of this policy for India, which has been, continues to be, and I hope will remain, a close ally and friend of the United States”.
Citing "LeT`s important domestic strategy and the importance of Lashkar to the ISI," Christine Fair, Assistant Professor at the Centre for Peace and Security Studies said "many of the militant groups serve important domestic purposes for Pakistan”.
Ashley Tellis, Senior Associate, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said the Haqqani network, for years, has been supported by the ISI "and I do not see, at this juncture, why the ISI would retrench that support given the perception that there is going to be a security transition in Afghanistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes