Pakistan: Hindu community protest extortion attempt
Islamabad: Members of the minority Hindu community observed a strike in Khuzdar town in southwest Pakistan after unidentified armed men tried to extort money from a trader at gunpoint.
The strike was observed by Hindu traders yesterday following the extortion attempt targeting businessman Karpal Das.
The armed men broke into Das` departmental store on Masjid Road, the busiest road in Khuzdar, and demanded a large amount of money. They fled when Das resisted.
The gunmen fired in the air while leaving the area.
The protesting Hindu traders were joined by local shopkeepers, who demanded that the local authorities should take steps to check increasing incidents of kidnapping for ransom and armed robberies.
The traders said the police had failed to provide security to citizens against anti-social elements.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'