Pakistan: Hindu community protest extortion attempt
Islamabad: Members of the minority Hindu community observed a strike in Khuzdar town in southwest Pakistan after unidentified armed men tried to extort money from a trader at gunpoint.
The strike was observed by Hindu traders yesterday following the extortion attempt targeting businessman Karpal Das.
The armed men broke into Das` departmental store on Masjid Road, the busiest road in Khuzdar, and demanded a large amount of money. They fled when Das resisted.
The gunmen fired in the air while leaving the area.
The protesting Hindu traders were joined by local shopkeepers, who demanded that the local authorities should take steps to check increasing incidents of kidnapping for ransom and armed robberies.
The traders said the police had failed to provide security to citizens against anti-social elements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Alice Through The Looking Glass' movie review: A visual extravaganza
- 'Veerappan' Box Office collections, movie mints Rs 1.77 cr on first day!
- These globetrotting stars will give you serious travel goals – View pics
- Zika virus infects placenta, claim researchers!
- Johnny Depp's lawyer responds to Amber Heard's abuse allegations