Pakistan: Hindus threaten stir over delay in temple report
Islamabad: The minority Hindu community has threatened to launch a protest against a delay in finalising the report of a fact-finding mission on the pulling down of a temple in the Pakistani garrison city of Rawalpindi.
Pakistan Hindu Sikh Social Welfare Council president Jag Mohan Kumar Arora said that despite the passage of two months, the government has failed to address the issue of the partial demolition of the temple near a Shamshan Ghat (cremation ground) on Tipu Road.
"If the report is not finalised by October 30, the Hindu community would launch a protest against the government," Arora told the media.
The Hindu community of Rawalpindi protested when a person who had leased the temple and its property demolished half of the structure in July.
The Evacuee Trust Property Board, which manages the property of Pakistan`s minority communities, claimed that the structure was never used as temple but the Hindu community insisted the building adjacent to the Shamshan Ghat was meant for worship.
Taking notice of the demolition, President Asif Ali Zardari had asked the Ministry of Minority Affairs to prepare a report within 10 days whether the building was a temple.
Arora said the Hindus had provided documented evidence to Federal Minority Affairs Minister Shahbaz Bhatti that the building was a temple.
The revenue records declared that 10 `kanals` and 17 `marlas` of land belonged to the Shamshan Ghat, including the building, Arora said.
He contended that the land of the Shamshan Ghat land was non-evacuee property and administered by the ETPB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark