Pakistan: Hindus threaten stir over delay in temple report
Islamabad: The minority Hindu community has threatened to launch a protest against a delay in finalising the report of a fact-finding mission on the pulling down of a temple in the Pakistani garrison city of Rawalpindi.
Pakistan Hindu Sikh Social Welfare Council president Jag Mohan Kumar Arora said that despite the passage of two months, the government has failed to address the issue of the partial demolition of the temple near a Shamshan Ghat (cremation ground) on Tipu Road.
"If the report is not finalised by October 30, the Hindu community would launch a protest against the government," Arora told the media.
The Hindu community of Rawalpindi protested when a person who had leased the temple and its property demolished half of the structure in July.
The Evacuee Trust Property Board, which manages the property of Pakistan`s minority communities, claimed that the structure was never used as temple but the Hindu community insisted the building adjacent to the Shamshan Ghat was meant for worship.
Taking notice of the demolition, President Asif Ali Zardari had asked the Ministry of Minority Affairs to prepare a report within 10 days whether the building was a temple.
Arora said the Hindus had provided documented evidence to Federal Minority Affairs Minister Shahbaz Bhatti that the building was a temple.
The revenue records declared that 10 `kanals` and 17 `marlas` of land belonged to the Shamshan Ghat, including the building, Arora said.
He contended that the land of the Shamshan Ghat land was non-evacuee property and administered by the ETPB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH