Pakistan in talks to recognise Israel: Report
Islamabad: Pakistan is engaged in secret
talks with Israel and might even be considering recognising
the Jewish state, a media report said on Friday, prompting a
strong rebuttal from the government which said there was "not
an iota of truth" in the claim.
Quoting top-level diplomatic sources, the Nation said
that Pakistan is said to have opened its "camp office" in Tel
Aviv, and is engaged in covert talks to find out possibilities
to establish direct links.
The paper said Pakistan might even following in
Turkey`s footsteps to recognise Israel in the near future.
Reacting to the report the Foreign Office spokesman
Abdul Basit said in a statement: "There was no change in
Pakistan`s policy (on Israel), nor is any change under
Such reports "based on mere speculation and hearsay"
are "irresponsible, to put it mildly," he said.
The paper said a prominent politician who is also the
chief of a religious party, has played a vital role in the
However, Basit said the news report was baseless.
"There was not an iota of truth in these claims. Pakistan`s
position on Israel was clear and based on principles," he
According to the paper, Israel`s then-foreign minister
Silvan Shalom met his Pakistani counterpart Khurshid Mehmood
Kasuri in 2005 in Turkey, sparking protests in Pakistan.
In September 2006, Musharraf had said Pakistan`s
government would have to recognise Israel only after an
independent Palestinian state was established.
"We cannot do something that sidelines us from the
Muslim world," Musharraf had said at that time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- RBI slaps penalty on UCO Bank, Allahabad Bank, Bank of India
- No relief! Court dismisses bail plea of AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan; sent to 14-day judicial custody
- SBI launches debit card-less instant money transfer facility
- Swara Bhaskar to lose weight for 'Veere Di Wedding'
- Investor account to earn benefits on freezed accounts too: AMFI