`Pakistan in UNSC shows country not isolated`
Islamabad: The election of Pakistan as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council has proved that the country is not isolated, Minister for Information and Broadcasting Firdous Ashiq Awan has said.
Addressing a joint press conference with Pakistan`s Permanent Representative to the UN Abdullah Hussain Haroon here on Thursday, the minister said Pakistan has been elected to UNSC for a two-year term along with Azerbaijan, Morocco, Guatemala and Togo.
She said that there was a tough competition.
"The overwhelming victory of Pakistan in the UNSC elections will bolster the country`s image all over the world and dispel the impression about diplomatic isolation," Associated Press of Pakistan quoted her as saying.
Abdullah Haroon said this time Pakistan launched its campaign without support of any superpower and won comfortably.
On Indian support for Pakistan in the UN, he said: "Neighbours have voted for us which means that our relations are improving."
He said that now the time had changed and the world powers could not dictate Pakistan on any issue like the past.
He said that there was an impression that Pakistan was isolated diplomatically, but it defeated Kyrgyzstan with a margin of 74 votes managing support from South America, Africa, Europe and Asia including the neighbours of Kyrgyzstan.
Abdullah Haroon said that India had tried to join the Nuclear Suppliers Group but Pakistan strongly resisted the move. Three years ago, when India launched a signature campaign for its permanent seat in UNSC, it got support of 142 countries but could muster the backing of only 88 members of UN General Assembly for its second drive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre