Pakistan increases defence budget by 15 percent
Islamabad: Pakistan`s cash-strapped new government announced a hefty 15 percent hike in its defence budget to Rs 627 billion, with the powerful Army getting the lion`s share of the outlay.
The government increased the allocation for defence in its budget for fiscal 2013-14 to Rs 627 billion (about USD 6.32 billion), marking an increase of little more than 15 percent over the outlay for the current fiscal.
The allocation for the three defence services amounted to 15.73 percent of the federal budget of Rs 3.985 trillion for fiscal 2013-14.
The Army got the lion`s share of the outlay with Rs 301.54 billion. The Air Force was allocated Rs 131.18 billion while the outlay for the Navy was Rs 62.80 billion.
Further details, including allocations for weapons acquisition programmes, were not immediately available.
Official budget documents presented in parliament said a sum of Rs 627 billion had been allocated for the defence services for 2013-14, compared with Rs 545 billion (about USD 5.82 billion) provided in the fiscal year ending on June 30.
However, the documents listed the revised estimate for defence spending in the current fiscal at Rs 570 billion, and the new outlay of Rs 627 billion marked an increase of 10 per cent over this figure.
The budget documents further showed that the new PML-N government had allocated Rs 2,300 million for the Defence Production Division in the Public Sector Development Programme for 2013-14.
Of this amount, Rs 2,246.300 million has been allocated for installing a ship lift, transfer system and associated machinery and equipment to provide docking and repair facilities for surface ships, submarines and commercial vessels at Karachi port.
Pakistan`s new government led by Nawaz Sharif took office last week and faces big challenges like reducing budget deficit and crippling energy crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you