`Pakistan like a black hole for American aid`
Washington: Noting that the US has provided a whooping USD 24 billion in aid to Pakistan in last decade, American lawmakers on Wednesday accused it of providing shelter to terrorists and said Islamabad is like a black hole for US aid.
"Pakistan is like a black hole for American aid. Our tax dollars go in, our diplomats go in (sometimes), our aid professionals go in (sometimes), our hopes go in, our prayers go in. Nothing good comes out," Congressman Gary Ackerman, Ranking Democrat member in the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Sub Committee on the Middle East and South Asia, said at a Congressional hearing.
"Since FY 2004, we have sunk USD 24 billion in foreign assistance to Pakistan. It is hard to fathom how so much money can buy so little. Waste at this scale requires not only an oblivious body politic and Congress, but a large cadre of government professionals and a horde of contractors," he said.
Pakistan’s government, civil-military relationship, and economy are not an iota less dysfunctional than they were 10 years ago, and in some respect are probably worse, he said.
Ackerman alleged that Pakistan continues to pursue its national interest at America`s expense and that of its actual allies.
"Pakistan continues to shelter, directly support and sponsor terrorist. Officially acknowledging this indisputable fact might be grossly impolitic; but that doesn`t make it less true. American standing in Pakistani public opinion is terrible and getting worse," he said.
"When polled last year, three out of four Pakistanis regard the United States unfavourably and more than half hold it to be bad thing that Osama Bin Laden sleeps with the fish. Does anyone think another 10 years and another USD 24 billion will turn things around?" he asked.
The billions of aid given to Pakistan since 9/11 has not yielded any result, said senior Congressman Dana Rohrabacher.
Pakistanis are terrorising their neighbours and crushing their own people, he alleged.
"We should cut Pakistan off of every cent because they (US aid) are used for evil purposes. It is even being used to kill Americans," he alleged.
"It is time we face reality and admit our mistakes," he said, adding that the US should not stop supporting failed policies and corrupt dictators.
Congressman Robert Turner in his remarks noted that Pakistan has been a difficult country in its long history. It has harboured jihadists and is devalued of basic human rights values, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow