Pakistan military demands foolproof security for Musharraf
Islamabad: Pakistan`s security establishment has demanded foolproof security for ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf, who is facing a Taliban death threat following his return to the country from self-exile, a media report said.
The General Headquarters wrote a letter to the Defence Ministry seeking security for Musharraf, who flew into Karachi from Dubai yesterday, The Express Tribune reported on Monday.
The Defence Ministry forwarded the request to the Interior Ministry, which will ensure proper security for the former President, the paper quoted a defence source as saying.
69-year-old Musharraf, who ended his nearly four-year-long self-exile, has been threatened by the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
In a video issued days before Musharraf`s return, the Taliban said they had formed special squad of suicide bombers and snipers to target the former President.
The video featured former Pakistan Air Force personnel Adnan Rashid, who articipated in a previous attempt to assassinate Musharraf.
Rashid was sentenced to death by a military court but escaped from a prison in northwest Pakistan during a jailbreak engineered by the Taliban.
It was not immediately clear whether the army sought enhanced security for Musharraf on its own or at the request of the former dictator.
Asia Ishaq, a spokesperson for Musharraf`s All Pakistan Muslim League party, said the retired army chief was entitled to security from the military.
She claimed the Pakistan Army took the initiative on its own and not at Musharraf`s request.
Ishaq expressed satisfaction at security measures put in place for Musharraf`s arrival in Karachi yesterday.
She said Army personnel, police and law enforcement agencies were providing security to Musharraf.
Talking about Musharraf`s movements, Ishaq said: "We face a real challenge in Islamabad and Lahore and we are analysing at the moment the level of security we may require."
Musharraf has survived several attempts on his life, including two suicide attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow