Pakistan military plans to open new front: Panetta
Washington: Pakistan has told US that it plans to launch combat operations against Taliban militants soon in a tribal area near the Afghan border that also serves as a haven for leaders of the al Qaeda-affiliated Haqqani network, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has said.
Panetta said Pakistan`s military chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani discussed the planned operation in recent conversations with the top American commander in Afghanistan Gen John Allen.
The US long has been frustrated by Islamabad`s refusal to target Afghan Taliban militants and their allies using Pakistani territory to stage attacks against US and coalition troops in Afghanistan.
Many analysts believe Pakistan is reluctant to target groups with which it has strong historical ties and could be useful allies in Afghanistan after foreign forces withdraw.
Panetta told a news agency that he did not know when the Pakistani operation would start, but he said he understands it will be in the "near future," and that the main target will be the Pakistani Taliban, rather than the Haqqani network.
Panetta welcomed Kayani`s initiative, even though the main target may not be the Haqqani leadership.
"They`ve talked about it for a long time. Frankly, I`d lost hope that they were going do anything about it. But it does appear that they in fact are going to take that step."
Panetta also revealed that the US is providing additional military assistance to peacekeeping forces in Egypt`s Sinai Peninsula in order to strengthen security in the region. But he said that so far the Pentagon has not moved to send additional US troops to the Sinai.
"We just want to make sure that we know how those forces are deployed in order to insure that we can more effectively go after those terrorists that would try to create an incident or terrorist act," Panetta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof