`Pakistan most unsafe country for journalists`
Islamabad: Journalism is turning into a deadly profession in Pakistan.
According to statistics, over 80 journalists have been killed all over Pakistan in the last decade. Of them, 35 were shot dead by target killers, 12 lost their lives in suicide bombings while eight of them were killed after being abducted. Of the 80 journalists who lost their lives between 2002 and 2012, 16 were killed in 2011 alone while another six have perished in 2012. And four of them belonged to Balochistan.
Pakistan has become the most dangerous country for journalists after Syria and Somalia. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and as well as the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata) of Pakistan are three major trouble spots for Pakistani journalists, reports The News.
According to the paper, most journalists in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA usually face threats either by the Taliban militants or security forces.
Journalists in Balochistan are threatened not only by the pro-Taliban Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) and Pakistani security forces but also by Baloch separatists and state-sponsored anti-separatist militant outfits, the paper said.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) ranked Pakistan as one of the most dangerous countries for the media in 2012, while the Paris-based Reporters Sans Frontiers (RSF) ranked Pakistan at 151 out of 179 countries in its 2012 Press Freedom Index and the Freedom House ranked Pakistan at 144 out of 197 countries in its freedom of press ranking in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?