Pakistan mulls panel to probe fake drugs deaths
Islamabad: Pakistan may set up a judicial panel to probe over 100 deaths due to spurious drugs in its Punjab province.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday hinted at setting up the judicial commission to probe the spurious drugs case, which claimed lives of around 104 people in Punjab.
"I will discuss the matter with the top leadership and suggest setting up a judicial commission to bring the real culprits to task. I will recommend including a representative of media as member in the commission," Associated Press of Pakistan quoted Malik as saying.
He said that directives have been given to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to arrest whosoever are involved in the fake drugs case.
He criticised the Punjab government that it could not check the substandard medicines even though it has around 500 drugs inspectors.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari earlier this week sought a report into the deaths at a Lahore heart hospital.
He expressed concern and called for a report from the Health Ministry.
Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif said that at least 100 patients at the heart institute have died from reactions to spurious drugs.
Sharif said his team was investigating the drug scandal in Lahore`s Punjab Institute of Cardiology.
The government has sent samples of the medicines to France and Britain for analysis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC