Pakistan Navy test fires missiles in Arabian sea manoeuvres
Islamabad: The Pakistan Navy on Friday fired
missiles and torpedoes from warships, submarines and aircraft
in an intensive firepower drill in the North Arabian sea,
saying it was the message to "nefarious" forces, an apparent
reference to India.
"While (giving a reassurance about the) Pakistan Navy?s
commitment of defending the motherland, this strike capability
would also send a message of deterrence to anyone harbouring
nefarious designs against Pakistan," a naval statement said
after the manoeuvres.
The manoeuvres were aimed at assessing the lethality,
precision and efficacy of weapon systems, the statement said.
Warships, submarines and aircraft carried out the "successful
firing of a variety of missiles and torpedoes".
Newly inducted weapon systems, including anti-surface
missiles on Chinese-made F-22 P frigates and air-to-surface
missiles of P3C maritime surveillance aircraft, were among
An important feature of the drill was the firing of
subsurface-to-surface missiles by Agosta 90B submarines.
"The target set was successfully engaged," the statement
Naval chief Admiral Noman Bashir, who witnessed the
event, expressed satisfaction at the operational readiness of
the Pakistan Navy fleet and commended officers and men for
their commitment and professionalism.
The weapon firing zone, spread over hundreds of miles,
was cleared of all merchant ships and fishing craft during a
special operation to ensure the safe conduct of the drill.
The missiles fired included French-acquired SM 39,
surface-to-surface missiles and AM 39 air launched version of
the same missile.
The naval exercises come as Pakistan has reportedly
recently acquired 120 Chinese C802 long-range anti-ship cruise
missiles to counter Indian Navy`s BrahMos missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH