Pakistan needs to be strict with terrorists: Kayani
Islamabad: Pakistan needs stricter laws to deal with terrorism, Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said in comments published Tuesday.
Addressing a parade at the Pakistan Military Academy in Kakul town, Gen Kayani underlined that the entire world had framed new laws to punish terrorists.
Geo TV also quoted him as saying: "We will have to put the past behind us and look ahead."
The General said no one was perfect, everyone made mistakes, some less and some more. Geo TV did not say in which context he made these comments.
Gen Kayani called for unity of the Pakistani people, saying the army could not succeed without the country`s backing.
The general was speaking at a time when ties with the US seem to be improving, specially after the US visit by ISI chief Lt. General Zaheerul Islam.
Gen Kayani said it was a difficult task for any army to fight with its own people but it resorted to it when it had no other choice.
"Our actual objective is to restore peace in the affected areas. But it is necessary that all the people of Pakistan abide by the constitution and its laws," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video