Pakistan needs to do more in war against terror: Kayani
Islamabad: Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said that more needs to be done in the fight against terrorism, according to a statement by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
Kayani said this during a meeting with outgoing commander of the 50-nation coalition force in Afghanistan General John Allen, reports The Dawn.
General Joseph F Dunford Jr, the new ISAF commander, also attended the meeting at the military headquarters in Rawalpindi. Issues relating to peace and stability in the region and strengthening cross-border cooperation were discussed, the report said.
ISAF described the meeting as "the latest in a regular series of engagements aimed at bolstering the military-to-military relationship between Isaf and Pakistan as well as improving security in the region".
Pakistan military`s public affairs wing, ISPR, did not issue a statement on the meeting. Pakistani leaders, particularly the military commanders, have always resented the American "do more" mantra, therefore it was probably one of those rare occasions that the Kayani himself acknowledged that the counter-terrorism efforts needed to be expanded.
In the past, Pakistani leaders responded to "do more" demands by saying the US instead needed to do more in the war in Afghanistan. The US frustration with Pakistan had been about the continued presence of terrorist sanctuaries in tribal areas along the Pak-Afghan border and the presence of the Haqqani network. However, both sides appreciated the improved coordination between ISAF and Pakistani military over the past year after the relationship hit rock bottom in the aftermath of the Salala border post attack in which several Pakistani troops were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!