Pakistan nuclear arsenal safe: Top US spy chief
Washington: Pakistan`s military knows there would be "catastrophic consequences, primarily for Pakistan," if any of its nuclear bombs falls into the wrong hands, the top US intelligence chief said on Wednesday.
Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair`s comments came one day after another top US national security official told the Senate Intelligence Committee that "vulnerabilities exist" in Pakistan`s nuclear safeguards.
"The Pakistan Army takes very seriously the security of its weapons, and they know the catastrophic consequences -- primarily for Pakistan -- if they were to get loose," Blair told the House Intelligence Committee.
"From what we see of the measures that they take, they are keeping them safe," Blair told lawmakers concerned about the stability of Pakistan and the fate of its atomic arsenal as it grapples with Islamic extremists.
On Tuesday, Defence Intelligence Agency chief Lieutenant General Ronald Burgess told senators that: "We have confidence in Pakistan`s ability to safeguard its nuclear weapons, though vulnerabilities exist."
He did not elaborate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says