Pakistan plans to produce 8,900 MW nuclear power by 2030
Islamabad: With the country facing severe power shortage, Pakistan plans to set up seven functional nuclear plants of 1,100 MW each by 2030 in addition to four units of 300 MW, producing a total of 8,900 MW of electricity.
Chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAES) Dr Ansar Parvez said that nuclear power was set to become a major player in the country`s power sector.
He said that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has already performed ground-breaking ceremony of two nuclear power plants with a capacity of 1100 MW each in Karachi.
Chairman PAEC said by 2030 the commission will be operating four nuclear power plants of 325 to 340 MW and seven nuclear power plants with the capacity of 1100 MW each.
About the under construction nuclear power plants C-3 and C-4 at Chashma he said both the plants will add more than 630 MW electricity to the national grid by 2016.
Yesterday, "dome-laying ceremony" of Chashma-IV nuclear power plant, was held which marked the completion of civil works at the unit and will be followed by installation of the reactor.
The country began its journey towards proficiency in nuclear energy in 1972. The PAEC chairman said the initial years were utilised in gaining experience in safe operation of plants, building confidence and acquiring technology.
He noted that availability of funds was not an issue for setting up more nuclear power plants, but agreed that there were no sources other than China from where the country could get reactors.
"Pakistan is facing a global policy of denial," he said.
China has committed $6.5 billion to finance the construction of two nuclear power plants which is being built with Chinese help and technology.
Chinese Ambassador to Pakistan Sun Weidong had recently said that a number of Chinese companies have a keen interest in energy cooperation with Pakistan and they are willing to participate in water, thermal, solar, wind, civil nuclear power generation projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film