Pakistan PM to hold meeting on US ties after Hakimullah Mehsud`s killing
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will preside over an important meeting later Sunday to discuss his country`s relationship with the US following the drone strike which killed Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud, officials said.
Pakistani officials claimed the US action has scuttled the government peace dialogue plan with the Taliban.
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said meetings of the federal Cabinet and the Cabinet committee on national security would be convened in the next few days to review the entire perspective of Pakistan-US relations and cooperation, Xinhua reported.
Prime Minster Sharif was abroad when the American spy aircraft rained missiles into the North Waziristan tribal region on Friday, and killed the Taliban chief and several other commanders, who had been discussing strategy for talks with the government.
The government had constituted a three-member delegation of top religious scholars to proceed to the Waziristan tribal area Saturday to meet the Taliban leaders and discuss the agenda and a possible venue for the peace talks.
The visit was cancelled after the US attack that is being widely condemned in Pakistan with both the government and opposition parties saying that the Americans have derailed the rare peace initiative.
Prime Minister Sharif had stated in London Thursday that peace talks with the Taliban had been started and he would speed up the process on his return to the country.
Officials said the Prime Minister returned home late Saturday and would discuss the situation post-US attack with his close aides and ministers.
Opposition parties are mounting pressure on the government to cut the supply line for the US-led NATO troops in neighbouring Afghanistan in protest against the latest strike that has caused serious setback to the process of peace talks with Taliban.
Senior political leader Imran Khan, whose Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party rules the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, has warned that the provincial government might stop NATO supplies from Monday.
The province is the major supply route for NATO forces in Afghanistan.
Taliban spokesman, Azam Tariq, said on Saturday the militants could not hold talks when their leaders were being killed. He also warned of revenge attacks.
Officials say Pakistan`s ambassadors in the capitals of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council would brief the host governments on the negative consequences of the drone attack to the peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow