Pakistan polls 2013: Karachi poll stations declared sensitive, 8 shot dead in city
Karachi: A top police official in Pakistan on Monday said that nearly half of the 3,700 polling stations in Karachi have been declared as sensitive and where the military could be deployed in the upcoming general elections even as eight people were shot dead in the restive city.
The Additional Inspector-General of Police in Sindh, Ghulam Shabbir Sheikh told reporters today that nearly 50 per cent of the polling stations in Pakistan`s largest city are sensitive.
According to the additional IG, there are nearly 3,700 polling stations in Karachi of which half have been declared sensitive, including those in the West district.
"We have made a deployment plan, the police will assist Rangers at the stations," he added.
"But where required the army can also be called in to secure these polling stations," he said.
The Election Commission has already said that Sindh is the most sensitive province as far as security in the elections is concerned with 4,629 highly sensitive and 3,621 sensitive polling stations.
The caretaker interior minister, Malik Habib today also told the media in Islamabad that there were real security threats in Karachi for the elections based on information by security agencies.
The minister`s concerns over the situation in Karachi appear realistic as once again today in a shooting incident three persons were shot dead outside a hotel in the Lasbela area including an ASI of the police.
A police official said that unknown shooters, armed with automatic assault rifles, fired bursts at a hotel and shop located in downtown Karachi, which killed two people and injured three.
"After firing outside the hotel they chased one of the men, Shahzad into a shop and also shot him," he said.
One of the injured, the ASI died later in hospital while the condition of the other two also remains critical.
Police said a total of eight people had been killed in the city during the day in separate firing incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly