Pakistan President Zardari`s security chief killed in Karachi blast
Karachi: At least four people, including an ex-chief security officer of President Asif Ali Zardari, were killed and about 12 others injured on Wednesday when a powerful blast targeted a bullet-proof vehicle in a congested area here.
Bilal Sheikh, the chief security officer of President Asif Zardari and a prominent leader of the Pakistan People`s Party (PPP), was killed when the bomb ripped through his double cabin car in Gurumandir area, one of the city`s busiest location.
Chaudhary Aslam, a senior police official, confirmed that Sheikh had been killed besides two others in the bomb attack.
Police said that about 12 people were injured in the bombing.
Aslam said apparently the remote controlled bomb was planted in the double cabin car and was detonated when the car was at Gurumandir where it stopped for a while.
"It was a remote controlled bomb and it caused lot of damage," another police official of the area said.
Sheikh, a die-hard leader of the PPP was party president of the central district in Karachi and had also worked as chief security officer of the President in the past.
"He had received several threats and a cracker bomb attack was also carried out against him in Nazimabad two months back. He was transferred from the Presidency to Karachi," an officer said.
Television channels gave conflicting reports that the bomb was planted on the roadside and was detonated when the car passed it.
An eyewitness said that besides those in the car, several other bystanders were injured by the blast.
Some vehicles which were close were also damaged, the eyewitness said.
"It was a powerful explosion and it caused plenty of damage and also spread panic and fear in the area with shops closing down immediately afterwards," a rescue official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly