Pakistan President Zardari`s security chief killed in Karachi blast
Karachi: At least four people, including an ex-chief security officer of President Asif Ali Zardari, were killed and about 12 others injured on Wednesday when a powerful blast targeted a bullet-proof vehicle in a congested area here.
Bilal Sheikh, the chief security officer of President Asif Zardari and a prominent leader of the Pakistan People`s Party (PPP), was killed when the bomb ripped through his double cabin car in Gurumandir area, one of the city`s busiest location.
Chaudhary Aslam, a senior police official, confirmed that Sheikh had been killed besides two others in the bomb attack.
Police said that about 12 people were injured in the bombing.
Aslam said apparently the remote controlled bomb was planted in the double cabin car and was detonated when the car was at Gurumandir where it stopped for a while.
"It was a remote controlled bomb and it caused lot of damage," another police official of the area said.
Sheikh, a die-hard leader of the PPP was party president of the central district in Karachi and had also worked as chief security officer of the President in the past.
"He had received several threats and a cracker bomb attack was also carried out against him in Nazimabad two months back. He was transferred from the Presidency to Karachi," an officer said.
Television channels gave conflicting reports that the bomb was planted on the roadside and was detonated when the car passed it.
An eyewitness said that besides those in the car, several other bystanders were injured by the blast.
Some vehicles which were close were also damaged, the eyewitness said.
"It was a powerful explosion and it caused plenty of damage and also spread panic and fear in the area with shops closing down immediately afterwards," a rescue official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional