Pakistan presidential polls to be held on July 30 due to Ramzan
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Supreme Court has ordered the presidential elections to be held on July 30, reports said.
Earlier, the Election Commission of Pakistan had scheduled the poll date for August 6.
Pakistan’s apex court’s decision came after PML-N chairman Raja Zafarul Haq filed a petition seeking preponing the date of presidential poll.
The PML (N) leader contended that the date should be changed as many parliamentarians will proceed for Umrah and observe Aitakaf in the third Ashra of Ramadanul Mubarak, reported Pakistani news website the Nation.
The SC order on changing of polls date was decided by a three member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry.
As per the apex court order, the nomination papers’ scrutiny would be held on 26th July and the the last date to withdraw the nomination is July 27.
The court has also ordered the Election Commission of Pakistan to firm up the final list of candidates on the date of withdrawal of nomination.
Pakistani political parties have nominated their candidates for the upcoming presidential elections with the ruling party`s candidate seen as the front-runner.
The court also ordered the election commission to final list of candidates on the date of the withdrawal of candidature.
President Asif Ali Zardari`s term expires in early September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning