Pakistan: Prosecutor in Salman Taseer murder case quits
Islamabad: Saiful Malook, the Pakistani prosecutor who was pursuing the case against the police guard who assassinated former Punjab governor Salman Taseer, has withdrawn from the case citing security concerns, a media report said on Friday.
Mumtaz Qadri shot dead Taseer on January 04 in the heart of the capital because he was angered by the Governor`s campaign to free a Christian woman sentenced to death under the draconian blasphemy law.
Malook pulled out from the case saying the government had failed to fulfil the promise to provide him with full security, the Express Tribune reported.
Malook was quoted as saying in the report that the government had promised to provide him with security while he was following the case, but has not fulfilled the promise so far.
The lawyer also claimed that the case challan was incomplete as the police have not yet determined if the assassin was instigated by clerics to murder Taseer. He said the challan will remain incomplete until the case against the clerics is decided.
On February 01, a Pakistani court deferred the indictment of Qadri as the prosecution could not provide some documents to defence lawyers.
Hardline Pakistani Islamist parties have rallied in support of Qadri. Liberals and civil society activists were outraged when Qadri was showered with rose petals at the earlier court hearings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death