Pakistan protests LoC violation by India
Islamabad: Pakistan Monday protested to India over what it said was an unprovoked attack by the Indian Army on a Pakistani checkpost in the Kashmir region. India has denied the allegation.
India`s Deputy High Commissioner Gopal Baglay was summoned to the foreign office and handed over a protest note, Geo News reported.
Pakistan said the attack in the Hajipir sector Sunday was a breach of the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between New Delhi and Islamabad.
The Indian government was strongly urged to take "appropriate measures to avoid recurrence of such incidents in future", the foreign office said in a statement.
On Sunday, Pakistan accused Indian troops of killing a Pakistani soldier in the attack. The checkpost is located about 200 km from Islamabad.
India denied the accusation, saying mortar shells were first fired by the Pakistan Army at Indian civilians near the LoC.
Indian officials accused the Pakistan Rangers of resorting to "unprovoked mortar shelling" at Indian positions in Hajipir area of Uri sector on the LOC.
"Our troops responded with light weapons, following which the Pakistani shelling stopped," a defence spokesperson told IANS in Srinagar.
The Pakistani shelling was intended to help militants to sneak into the Kashmir Valley from Pakistan but Indian troops thwarted the attempt, the official added.
India holds the southern two-thirds of the Kashmir region and Pakistan the northern third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?