Pakistan protests LoC violation by India
Islamabad: Pakistan Monday protested to India over what it said was an unprovoked attack by the Indian Army on a Pakistani checkpost in the Kashmir region. India has denied the allegation.
India`s Deputy High Commissioner Gopal Baglay was summoned to the foreign office and handed over a protest note, Geo News reported.
Pakistan said the attack in the Hajipir sector Sunday was a breach of the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between New Delhi and Islamabad.
The Indian government was strongly urged to take "appropriate measures to avoid recurrence of such incidents in future", the foreign office said in a statement.
On Sunday, Pakistan accused Indian troops of killing a Pakistani soldier in the attack. The checkpost is located about 200 km from Islamabad.
India denied the accusation, saying mortar shells were first fired by the Pakistan Army at Indian civilians near the LoC.
Indian officials accused the Pakistan Rangers of resorting to "unprovoked mortar shelling" at Indian positions in Hajipir area of Uri sector on the LOC.
"Our troops responded with light weapons, following which the Pakistani shelling stopped," a defence spokesperson told IANS in Srinagar.
The Pakistani shelling was intended to help militants to sneak into the Kashmir Valley from Pakistan but Indian troops thwarted the attempt, the official added.
India holds the southern two-thirds of the Kashmir region and Pakistan the northern third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report