Pakistan raises drone issue at UN
United Nations: Pakistan has raised the issue of US drone strikes in its tribal regions at the UN Security Council, calling for their cessation and seeking "urgent" talks to resolve the issue, the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) reported.
"Drone strikes infringe (on) our sovereignty, violate international law, including the international human rights and humanitarian law, cause civilian casualties and are detrimental to the combined efforts to fight terrorism," Pakistan`s Ambassador to the UN Masood Khan told the 15-nation UNSC during a discussion Thursday on the situation in Afghanistan.
Noting that UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had drawn attention to the adverse consequences of the use of armed drones, the Pakistani ambassador said: "We call for cessation of drone strikes. Urgent and intense dialogue can help resolve this issue."
Earlier, all-party conference in Pakistan had recommended raising the drone issue at the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015