Pakistan records 72 polio cases in 2013: WHO
Islamabad: Pakistan recorded 72 polio cases this year, compared to 58 for all of 2012, with the bulk of new infections registered in the lawless tribal areas, a WHO official said today.
Pakistan is one of only three countries where the crippling disease remains endemic. Officials said violence against vaccinators and suspicions about the polio vaccine were reasons for the increase in cases.
"Pakistan has reported 72 polio cases, which is highest in comparison to two other countries with the disease, as Nigeria has 50 cases and Afghanistan reported only nine during 2013," Elias Durry, emergency coordinator for the World Health Organisation (WHO)`s Polio Eradication Pakistan Programme, told reporters.
Last year, Pakistan had 58 polio cases while Nigeria had 110 and Afghanistan 31, according to a global update on cases of crippling disease.
The Pakistani Taliban and other militant groups have hampered efforts to immunise children, denouncing the vaccines as a "Western plot" to sterilise Muslims and a cover for spies.
Some vaccinators were abducted or killed by militants in recent months. Six polio cases have been reported in the eastern province of Punjab this year, six in Sindh in the south and 10 in northwestern Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. The bulk of the infections - 50 - were in the lawless tribal areas along the Afghan border.
At least 260,000 children in North and South Waziristan had not been vaccinated against polio since July 2012. "We successfully immunised over 33 million children during the recent vaccination campaign while 2.3 million children were recorded missed during the campaign," Durry said.
He said that in most cases children were missed in the areas where the law and order situation was not favourable, and where vaccination teams faced security threats. Over 47,000 children missed vaccination because of parental refusals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray